The Academy of Rural Veterinarians is pleased to announce an externship assistance program available for veterinary students. This is part of our plan to promote rural lifestyle to veterinary students. ARV is planning to award financial assistance up to $250/week, for a maximum of $1000/student, for any student selected who wishes to spend time in a rural practice externship.
The purpose of this program is consistent with the goals of the Academy. We want to promote rural practice to any interested student. Our intent is to provide this as an opportunity to sway someone who is not sure about where they want to practice.
The practice must have at least one ARV member and it must be a multi-species practice in a community in which agriculture is a major contributor to the economy, and/or a veterinary practice is economically sustainable in that community.
Important details to keep in mind when applying:
- The application process begins on January 1 every year with a deadline for submissions in the beginning of April. Award recipients are notified in May.
- Housing is provided for out of state students.
- All Veterinary students are encouraged to apply - whether a first year, or upcoming senior, all applicants are welcome.
- You will need to supply:
- A letter of intent describing your career interests, previous rural practice experience and your goals for the externship.
- A letter from the practice describing what you will be doing, housing arrangements, and attesting that you will be covered under the practice’s professional liability and workmen’s compensation insurance.
- A letter from a faculty member at your veterinary college, with an assessment of your demonstrated interest in rural practice.
Resources for Externs and their Veterinarians:
Student Evaluation of Externship
Veterinary Evaluation of Student
If you have any questions about this program, please contact ARV's National Office at (518) 694-0056.